- Make sure all contractors are licensed and insured.
- Check with your insurer to see if the contractor has provided work for them in the past.
- Never pay in cash.
- Always ask for a quote in writing.
- If you must, only pay a small amount up front, but also use a credit card so you can challenge payment if needed.
- Get referrals and check references.
- Never sign a blank agreement.
- Make sure the contractor is licensed in Texas.
A Personal Insurance Update We have just witnessed hurricane Harvey, one of the worst disasters in American history. However, we have also seen some great acts of kindness to people in need during the past weeks. Unfortunately, fraud increases also during these events, taking advantage of people in need. As people are looking for help re-building, there will be those who will attempt to take advantage of the situation. If you are recovering from a disaster, here are some things to think about: Prevent Contractor Scams