According to Identity Theft Info.com, Approximately 15 million United States residents have their identities used fraudulently each year, with financial losses totaling upwards of $50 billion. On a case-by-case basis, that means approximately 7% of all adults have their identities misused, with each instance resulting in approximately $3,500 in losses.
If your identity is stolen, on average you will spend over 40 hours and over $1,500 to recover and restore your information.
Some clues that your identity has been stolen:
- Errors or charges that are not yours on credit card statements.
- Billing statements are missing or don’t show up.
- New accounts are opened in your name.
- Debt collectors call about debts that are not yours.
- Calls or mail about accounts in your minor child’s name.
- Order a credit report annually.
- Pay your bills online using a secure site if that service is available.
- Check and verify all charges on credit card statements.
- Don’t put outgoing mail, especially bill payments, in personal curbside mail boxes.
- Keep important documents in a safe.
- Don’t travel with all your credit cards, only take what you need.
- Buy a shredder and use it.
- The IRS will never call you to ask for money.
- Create passwords or PIN numbers out of a random mix of letters and numbers.
- Limit information on social media.
- Don’t give out your financial or personal information over the phone or Internet unless your know the source.
- Don’t open emails from people you don’t know.
- Keep your computer’s operating system, browser, and security up to date.
- Use anti-virus software, anti-spyware software, and a firewall.
Call us today for a free identity theft insurance
quote. Identity theft insurance can provide valuable coverage and resources when you need the most. Choosing the right coverage for your home may depend on a number of factors. You generally need enough insurance to cover the cost of rebuilding your home and replacing your personal possessions. The homeowner’s policy
also provides liability insurance to defend you in the event of a lawsuit. At J.S. Edwards & Sherlock, we can help you find a plan that suits your specific needs.
Don’t wait for another second to ensure your home is properly insured. Call us today at 409-832-7736 for more info on your options for personal insurance coverage.